What Were You Doing This Week In 1983?
We’re you raising your kids and juggling a work schedule? Maybe you weren’t yet a gleam in anyone’s eye…after all, it was 30 years ago!
On the eve of another ‘Best of the 80’s Weekend here on K104.7, I thought we’d revisit this week in 1983, to look back and/or refresh you.
Here’s what was happening in the world this week, in 1983:
- Tom Brokaw becomes the host of NBC Nightly News.
- In Australia, (eerily the same as this year), brush fires sweep through the states of Victoria and South Australia. The fires kill 71 people and hundreds of thousands of farm animals.
- Jim Thorpe’s Olympic gold medals are returned to his family more than 70 years after he won them. Thorpe, probably the greatest athlete of his time, won the decathlon and the pentathlon for the United States in the 1912 Olympic Games. But he had to return the medals when it was learned that he had played semi-professional baseball in 1909.
This is what we looked like, and played with:
- Rubik’s Cube
- Boom Boxes
- Baby-0n-Board signs
- Cabbage Patch Kids
- Crimped Hair
- Ray Bans
- Stick-up bangs
What were we watching on TV?
- Cagney & Lacey
- Family Ties
- Knight Rider
According to PopDose.com, here are the top 10 songs charting this week in 1983:
10. Heartbreaker — Dionne Warwick
9. Rock the Casbah — The Clash
8. Baby, Come to Me — Patti Austin (with James Ingram)
7. Africa — Toto
6. Mickey — Toni Basil
5. Sexual Healing — Marvin Gaye
4. Maneater — Daryl Hall & John Oates
3. Dirty Laundry — Don Henley
2. The Girl is Mine — Michael Jackson/Paul McCartney
1. Down Under — Men at Work
All of your favorites from the 80’s kick off at 6pm Friday night, on K104.7 with another ‘Best of the 80’s Weekend!