Unsuspecting Foods And Beverages You Can Overdose On
(CBS Radio) — We’ve all heard about drug overdoses, but overdosing on certain foods or beverages is a subject many people are unfamiliar with.
Recently, a 19-year-old man was hospitalized after he overdosed on soy sauce. After drinking nearly a quart of the condiment, he went into a coma and was rushed to the hospital. The man was suffering from hypernatremia, which is indicative of too much salt in a person’s blood stream.
In addition to soy sauce, there are a plethora of unsuspecting foods and beverages that can lead to an over-dose.
Top 5 Foods/Beverages You Can OD On
5. Carrots — In moderation, carrots are a healthy snack or side item during dinner. However, eating too many carrots can cause your skin to turn orange or yellow in color, due to elevated carotene in your bloodstream. The condition is thought to be harmless, and is corrected by reducing your beta-carotene intake.
4. Tuna Sushi/Canned Tuna — Tuna Sushi or canned tuna in moderation is not thought to be dangerous, however, eating too much can lead to mercury poisoning. Too much mercury in your bloodstream can lead to neurological issues. It is therefore recommended that people consume no more than 6 ounces of tuna per week.
3. Coffee — While many people depend on coffee to help them get their day started, drinking coffee throughout the day can lead to a caffeine overdose. General health guidelines suggest that people consume less than three cups of coffee per day. Too much caffeine in your bloodstream can lead to anxiety, loss of sleep, heart palpitations, and headaches. In rare cases, elevated caffeine levels in your body can lead to cardiac arrest.
2. Water — We all know that water is good for us and that we’re supposed to drink 8 glasses throughout the day to promote health. However, too much of a good thing can have detrimental effects inside the body. Symptoms of water intoxication are swelling, confusion, difficulty speaking or slurred speech, nausea and/or vomiting.
1. Nutmeg — A little dash of nutmeg on your drink or dessert will not do any harm, however, consumed in large quantities, nutmeg contains hallucinogenic properties. While ingesting too much nutmeg is not considered to be fatal, it can cause intense fear, in addition to hallucinations.
-QC Writer, CBS Radio
Trending on K104.7:
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Tony Bennett And Lady Gaga Perform On PBS Tonight:
- DIY Friday: Thrift Shop Framed Pumpkins!
- New Music From Luther Vandross, “Love It, Love It”
- Things You Still Need to Ask Your Mom About
- Everyday Life Situations That Test Your Patience and Reveal Your Character
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- Ariana Grande Started Questioning Catholicism After Brother Came Out as Gay
- Katy Perry Canceled 30th Birthday Celebration in Egypt Due to ‘Safety Concerns’